Why should Awkward Silences be awkward....?
I love my own personal time very much because I enjoy reflecting on the past. I may or may not come out a better person after each reflection but it's pretty useful to get acquainted with myself. I am not exactly proud of my 'loner' ways but then again, I've never been accused as unfriendly.
I am a frequent perpetrator of 'awkward silences' on telephone conversations and I am VERY bothered by it. I just have no idea how to extend a conversation more than 20minutes. Soon, I get flustered and worry what to talk about next. You know at initial dating stages where it is usual for couples to get acquainted over the phone? I am terrible at it so it was a relief with Shogun who was quite the motormouth. Hehe oh well, guess it didn't last... Anyway why would I want to talk about what I had for lunch and dinner? Does the other party actually need to know? Mike* laughed and said it is all just jibba jabba. No sweat, just let the conversation flow. I am trying but my head is stubborn.
Date: I had wasabi roll today for lunch. The chef put too much wasabi into the roll so I had a hard time.
In my head, I usually go "Yeah...it's kinda weird to have to know what you had for lunch but it's all ok. I am very interested in you so I shall listen. Oooo!! An opening, he was bothered by too much wasabi. SO I can ask him if he is terrible at spicy stuff." Heh.
I feel so.....technical. After the 15 minutes' mark, I start to look for openings in conversations so that I can 'extend' it. ( ToT ) This is really bad. I mean, I just can't do it. I am those idiots who gaze at my lover's face long and cuddle. I don't know how...... to talk. My poor dates.
Then there is this evil streak in me that tells me to take it easy. The guy is chasing you? The let him do all the work. Make him stress about how to extend the conversation to hear your voice. Tres Brilliant.
Anyway, someone please publish a "101 Phone Conversations For Dummies".
On a more 'bo liao' note. I attended a chinese wedding banquet last night and I accompanied Dad. At the reception, everyone was giving me weird looks cuz he was an old man with a hot woman (ME). Dad went around introducing me as his girlfriend from Shanghai too. Yeah we had alot of bo liao fun. A relative shot me evil eyes throughout the entire evening until his wife laughed at him and said I was my dad's daughter.
What did you know? A new game to play at boring banquets!
2 comments:
Hmm(raising eyebrow) that mike* a.k.a James Lye*?
Btw babe...guess what i had for for dinner? heh
Post a Comment