Hubby and I found a fabulous place not too far from our apartment to buy Indonesian handicrafts. It is FABULOUS (why is this word so gay now?) and we spent the entire Saturday afternoon wandering from one corner to the next in amazement (not with regards to the price but more the sheer number of ideas for gifts). I know where to do my birthday and Christmas shopping from now! And don't worry if you are on the receiving end because seriously, RocketJim don't do cheapskate. Hahaha. I fell in love with so many things I don't need! Wooden salt & pepper shakers that fit with the semi-resort theme in our house; table mats and coasters made from sandalwood that also smell great; aromatherapy oil at half the price of Singapore's; wayang kulit puppets; chopsticks made from coconuts and all kinds of textiles printed with batik motifs. I stood at the kebaya section stunned at the sheer beauty of the craftsmanship. I used to dread Hubby being posted here for work but I think the silver lining under the dark cloud is really beaming these days. Now, I dread Hubby being posted back to Japan. Odd as it is, I am beginning to think the Japanese are sad...compared to the poor-er but charming Indonesians.
Anyway, if your birthday is coming up soon, I am pretty sure your present will be made of wood! Hahaha.
You are very welcome. Man, I wish I can relocate several Indonesian artisans to Japan, sell their wares and then become a millionaire. Mwahaha. The Japanese and orang asings (angmohs) are such suckers for batik and wooden furniture. I just need a few dumbass to pay $5000 for a $300 table and I am all set. *star-jump*
And yes, I am looking for work! As much as I enjoy cooking and looking after Loverboy's nutrition, I need to pass time. 30 Rock and Mad Men is finite SO I'd done up my cover letter and resume and am all ready to send them out.....except that I don't have a photo attached to my resume yet. Hubby says it is a MUST to attach a photo, which I don't agree...because I personally saw him eliminate and laugh at candidates that look dull or like drug addicts on the CV photos. Yes, it was quite traumatizing. Very oddly, I'd seen Indonesians send in their CVs with photos taken right out of facebook. They send in those vanity shots of themselves looking surprised, cute or coy and it's totally unprofessional. UNPROFESSIONAL. I am shocked but then again, maybe I am not. Indian applicants? Man...they always inflate their salaries and ask for alot more. Again, why am I not surprised? I am excited to find work again though. I hope something comes my way soon.

14 Baby prams outside the Social House in Grand Indonesia. Works better than police-tape in cordoning off areas I think.
I made onigiri for Loverboy this week too! One more item to strike off my list *WHOOT*. These are triangular riceballs Japanese tear at the sight of in foreign countries. Onigiri also almost always bring back warm memories in men because it is something mummies always make for their little boys. I tried to make mine small and cute because Loverboy always complain how 'dynamic' (aka clumsy) my presentation is. I ain't apologetic because I am not a dainty Hello Kitty girl.

From a little ball of rice, you shape it into the shape of a triangle either with a clingwrap or with very wet hands. This is mixed with pickled vegetables. Tasty, you ask? Yes, very. They make very convenient and healthy on-the-go snacks too.

Victory comes in the guise of 3 little triangles.
Enjoy your week ahead!
2 comments:
these little rice balls costs like almost $9 for 3 at restaurants!!! :S
WTF. Oh ya ar. That's why when I eat out now I grumble alot. Onion rings is like just flour and egg and an onion. And then I get charged like $7 for a serving?
Post a Comment